Commencement is a celebration of all you have accomplished. Participation is voluntary but graduates are encouraged to attend.
Students who anticipate completing all degree requirements by the end of Fall 2016 are eligible to walk, with program approval. Please consult with your program advisor and Director of Graduate Studies if you wish to participate, but will not have completed all degree requirements by the end of May 2016
UMD Commencement 2016 is scheduled for Saturday, May 7, 2016 at the Duluth Entertainment and Convention Center, Amsoil Arena.
There will be two separate ceremonies:
10:00 a.m. CEHSP, SFA, and CLA students
3:00 p.m. LSBE and SCSE students
Requirements and deadlines
March 1 is the deadline to submit the Commencement Attendance Questionnaire to participate in commencement exercises, and to have your name included in the Commencement Program.
Graduation requirements for MEEd, MEHS, MAPL, M.Ed. MSpED, MTAG, and MEng programs:
1. Submit the Commencement Attendance Questionnaire by March 1st. (This is an online form. Paper forms are no longer used.) This is the only way we will know of your intention to participate in commencement exercises and for your name to appear in the Commencement program, so it is very important that you submit this online form.
Individual programs may have additional requirements for degree completion. Please check with your program office.
Graduation requirements for all other graduate programs:
1. Download your Graduation Packet, which contains degree completion forms and a link instructions on how to Apply to Graduate. An approved Graduate Degree Plan must be on file with the Graduate School, and an Examining Committee (if applicable) must be assigned before you will be able to access your Graduation Packet.
2. Submit the Commencement Attendance Questionnaire by March 1st. (This is an online form. There is no paper form this year.)
For more information regarding Degree Completion Steps, please visit the GSSP website.
Additional requirements for those participating in Commencement Ceremonies:
The UMD Graduation Fair is held each year in March in Kirby Ballroom.
1. Students must obtain the proper academic attire at UMD Stores in order to participate in the ceremonies.
Purchase your cap, gown, hood, and tassel at Lower Level UMD Stores, or at the Grad Fair.
Participating Doctoral degree students can find more information about their regalia by clicking here.
Participating Master's degree students can find more information about their regalia by clicking here.
***NOTE: When ordering Graduation Hoods, please include your Discipline/Degree in the comments area.***
If participating students have any questions about the proper regalia and deadlines by which regalia need to be ordered, please contact UMD Stores
2. More details regarding this year's Commencement are available on the UMD Commencement Information page.
Questions? Contact the UMD Graduate Office at (218) 726-7523, or email email@example.com.