Instructors are required to notify students in 1xxx- and 2xxx-level courses when they (students) appear to be in danger of receiving a grade of D, F or N based on their academic performance through the eighth week of the semester. The purpose of this notification is to prompt at risk students to take corrective action. Instructors may use the Mid-Term Alert system for notification, or any alternative means.
Mid-Term Alert System Options:
The mid-term alert system is meant to provide helpful feedback on a student's progress in the course. The system is not to be used for final grade reporting and will not be part of a student's transcript. Notification of mid-term alerts is available for advisors through UMReports. The system may also be used by instructors to notify students in the class who are performing well and students in upper division courses.
- If the instructor wishes to use the Mid-Term Alert system that has been in place for several years, s/he should click on the appropriate course section and proceed to send mid-term alerts.
- When sending an alert, you may include attendance information and any other free-form comments.
- This information can be sent either to one student at a time, or you can select a batch of students. The batch alert option is quicker when three or more alerts need to be sent.
- You will have a chance to review your mid-term alerts before you send them. However, once an alert is sent, you cannot edit or revoke it. If an incorrect alert is sent, you must notify the student involved.
- If there are no students at the at risk performance level, an instructor may check the box "I have no alerts to send for the following section(s)"
If the instructor wishes to use an alternative method to alert at risk students, s/he may check the box "I am using a different method to communicate alerts for the following section(s)"
Note: If an instructor who originally selected and submitted Option 2. or 3. wishes to select Option 1 at a later time, s/he can return to the Mid-Term Alert page and uncheck the Option 2. or Option 3. box and then check the desired option.
When to send alerts:
- The Mid-term alert system will be available from 5:30 am on the Monday of the 6th week of the semester through midnight of the Friday of the 8th week of the semester.
- Fall semester '14: October 6 - 24, 2014.
- Spring semester '15: February 23 - March 13, 2015.
- The system will be unavailable from 4:00 am-5:30 am, Monday-Saturday and 4:00 am-12:30 pm, Sunday for system backup.
Current Recommended Browsers
to Section Selection
Page Coordinator: Vickery French.