Personal Safety Tips
- Use safe, direct, and well-lighted routes.
- Stay alert to your surroundings—using your phone or iPod can decrease your awareness.
- Look confident and purposeful.
- Walk with a friend if possible—particularly at night.
- Carry your keys and money in a pocket, not in a purse or backpack.
- If you are being followed, go to where there are people and call 911.
- Never leave items unattended. Laptop computers and other items are stolen frequently. Stolen items often are never returned and most thieves are not arrested. Victims can, however, help apprehend criminals and get property back if they know the serial numbers of their items.
- Keep doors and windows locked—do not prop doors open. This compromises the safety of everyone in your building.
- In your car, put valuables and packages in the trunk before you arrive at your destination.
- Don't leave your car running unattended. Take your keys.
In the Event of an Emergency
- Dial 911 to report any emergency on campus.
- Take action immediately if there are fire alarms, warning sirens, or any other alert to evacuate or seek shelter.
- Help others, especially those who may need physical assistance.
Did you find what you were looking for?