University of Minnesota Duluth
myUMD | Search | People | Departments | Events | News

Explore this site



IRA charitable rollover permanently extended



Tricia Bunten

Chief Development Officer

315 Darland Administration Building
(218) 726-6995
(866) 726-7110 toll free
E-mail // Website


Congress has permanently extended a popular tax-advantaged giving opportunity. The new law allows individuals who are age 70½ or older to make gifts of up to $100,000 directly from their IRA account to one or more qualified charities, without paying federal income tax on the withdrawal. The extension was made retroactive to Jan. 1, 2015.

Donors who have an IRA and are fulfilling and existing pledge, or wish to make a gift to benefit the campus, college or program of their choice, may want to make a qualified charitable distribution.

Here are the specifics:

To make a gift to UMD from an IRA, donors should contact your IRA plan administrator and request a direct Qualified Charitable Distribution from their IRA account to the University of Minnesota Foundation, a 501(c)(3) organization, with Tax ID number 41-6042488, and have the check mailed to the following address:

University of Minnesota Foundation
Attn: IRA Gift Processing
200 Oak Street SE, Suite 500
Minneapolis, MN 55455

Donors are asked to contact Tricia Bunten at 218-726-6995 to inform UMD of the gift and to offer instructions on how it should be directed (the specific college, program or fund).

© 2016 University of Minnesota Duluth
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
Last modified on 12/22/15 08:57 AM
University of Minnesota Campuses
Crookston | Duluth | Morris
Rochester | Twin Cities | Other Locations