Program Educational Objectives
The Department of Computer Science offers two undergraduate degree programs: the Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and the Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems. The educational objectives of these programs reflect the mission of the Department and the University. The program objectives are that, within 3 to 5 years of graduation, our alumni should be:
- Working as productive professionals in the computing field or pursuing graduate/professional education
- Participating as members of the computing field and in their general community
- Beginning to take leadership roles in their chosen profession
- Working effectively as a member of a team
- Pursuing life-long learning opportunities
These objectives are designed to reflect the capabilities our students will develop. The skills, knowledge and behavior that students acquire as they move through this program (that is, the expected program outcomes for students graduating with an undergraduate degree in Computer Science or in Information Systems and Technology) are delineated below.
- Students understand the mathematics and statistics that underlie scientific applications.
- Students can design, develop, and analyze significant software systems.
- Students understand the fundamentals of computer systems organization.
- Students understand the fundamentals of data structures and related algorithms.
- Students understand the application of programming languages in computer systems.
- Students can apply computer science principles and practices to a variety of problems.
- Students can work independently and also work effectively in teams.
- Students can communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Students understand social, professional and ethical issues related to computing.
- Students are knowledgeable of contemporary issues in the arts, social sciences, and humanities.
- Students understand the scientific method and can apply this mode of inquiry in a laboratory setting. (Bachelor of Science in Computer Science)
- Students have a broad perspective of the business world. (Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems)
For more information, click on the link below to the program you are interested in: