University of Minnesota Duluth
MyU | Search | People | Departments | Events | News

For Parents & Families

Office of Student Conduct > For Parents & Families > FAQs

Parents & Families Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

I received a letter about my student's violation. What's next?
The office informs parents of students' violations, especially when the incident represents a health or safety concern. No action is required on the part of the family, but this may be the time to initiate a dialogue with your student about the incident.
Can the Office of Student Conduct discuss my student's case with me?
Yes. In most cases, a FERPA Information Release waiver should be on file that specifically names the individuals with whom details may be discussed, unless the student is listed as a dependent on parental tax forms according to the registrar.
The court system has altered/dropped my student's case. Does that change her/his standing with the University?
No. The office operates a system apart from civil or criminal court. The Office of Student Conduct enforces the Student Conduct Code. Dismissal from one system does not necessitate dismissal from the other. In other words, UMD may hold students accountable for conduct inconsistent with our standards regardless of an outcome in the court system. (Exception: Social host tickets dismissed by the court will also be dismissed by OSC.)
This incident occured off-campus. Why is the University involved?
The Board of Regents Student Conduct Code gives the University authority to hold students accountable for their conduct both on and off-campus. This reflects the University's belief that students represent UMD on campus as well as in the larger Duluth community.
What kind of action may be taken if my student is found responsible?
Sanctions (the outcome of a finding of responsible) are decided on a case-by-case basis. The hearing officer has discretion in assigning sanctions. This enables the hearing officer to best address the needs each individual student. Read more...
Will my student have a conduct record? Who can access a conduct record?
The office generally maintains records of conduct violations for seven years. Conduct records are highly confidential and legally guarded. Release of conduct records may or may not require the student's authorization. For example, graduate schools or other institutions may request a student's conduct record prior to an admissions decision. In this case, the student's signature is required.

Please contact the office if you have additional questions.

© 2017 University of Minnesota Duluth
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
Last modified on 08/10/14 03:00 PM
University of Minnesota Campuses
Crookston | Duluth | Morris
Rochester | Twin Cities | Other Locations