University for Seniors is a lifelong learning education program of the University of Minnesota Duluth. It is designed to provide humanities-based opportunities for intellectual and cultural development and stimulation for individuals age 50 and older. Programs include study groups, lectures, fieldtrips, cultural and social opportunities. We welcome you whether your formal education ended early in life or you have advanced degrees.
University for Seniors’ Council and Committee members plan and develop programming, events, and activities. These passionate and dedicated volunteers are critical to the success of the program.
University for Seniors offers:
- Three eight-week terms during the year offering over 40 humanities-centered study groups including current events, history, philosophy, science, art, poetry, literature, exercise, and other topics of interest for adults in pre-retirement and post-retirement years;
- Special events and social activities featuring local tours, museum visits, luncheons, and theatrical events;
- Monthly lectures with University of Minnesota professors and community experts on timely topics and travel experiences by members;
- S.A.G.E. - Sharing Across Generations: intergenerational challenges and volunteer options for US members with traditional UMD students and the Duluth community;
- Opportunities for learning about things you've wanted to know but never had the time to pursue;
- Opportunities to lead study groups, assist study group leaders, serve on the US council or committees, volunteer in other capacities;
- Friends in pursuit of common interests, and a fun group of people.
“This wonderful opportunity the University of Minnesota Duluth has opened up to energetic seniors in the community is outstanding. The program enriches lives by continual education through campus interaction. A delight in so many ways. Thank you!” –2013-14 Annual Survey Respondent
University for Seniors provides opportunities for intellectual and cultural development and stimulation for individuals age 50 and older. We offer three eight-week terms of humanities based programming each year, in the fall, winter, and spring. We also offer numerous social events and activities throughout the year.
- Up to 10 study groups per term
- DTA/STRIDE passes for transportation to and from US study groups and activities (link this to our “getting to campus url which talks about this membership benefit)
- Special Interest Groups for members only
- Priority participation in Special Events
- Access to University of Minnesota Duluth Library
- Affiliate membership rate to access the UMD Wellness sports and recreation facilities
- Discounted rates to cultural events on campus
Membership is $140 per term or $370 for an annual membership (fall, winter, and spring terms). A fall term membership may be upgraded to an annual membership during Winter registration.
Membership is available three times each year when registration for our terms occur (Fall, Winter, and Spring). To join, register online (make this link to our page) or download a printable pdf.
Gift Memberships are available! A membership in University for Seniors makes a great gift for those who “have everything.” It’s easy: you purchase the gift membership and the recipient selects classes during the registration period. To purchase a gift membership, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org.