Vision Group 8: Internationalization and global perspective
Vision Group Members
Proposed Vision for UMD in 2020 Related to this Topic
The University of Minnesota Duluth encourages students, faculty, staff, and the community at large to become well-informed individuals, lifelong learners and engaged citizens in the global environment. We accomplish that objective through internationalizing the curricula across departments and disciplines, promoting international scholarship and educational exchange, enhancing global experience for UMD students and scholars, and actively developing systems and skills in the UMD community to foster a society responsive to the increasingly global needs and obligations of citizenship.
Proposed Goals for UMD to Achieve in the Next Three-Five Years Related to this Topic
- To effectively strengthen the university’ s international programs and services by establishing the centrality of international activities to the campus mission.
Proposed Action Steps for UMD to Achieve in the Next One-Two Years Related to this Topic
Goal #1: To effectively strengthen the university’s international programs and services by establishing the centrality of international activities.
- Obtain approval and support of the Chancellor affirming the centrality of international programs and activities to the University’s stated goal.
- Develop a centralized administrative unit to develop, direct, coordinate and sustain the internationalization of the university. Identify funding sources to support internationalization
- Provide adequate resources to support global teaching, research, and public engagement programs.
- Increase interactions between international and U.S. students, faculty and staff, both in the classroom and through cultural and social activities.
- Improve communication to campus community about international activities and outcomes.
- Expand global opportunities for students, staff and faculty in teaching, research and scholarship.