CEHSP requires all entering undergraduate students to have a laptop computer.
The Computer Corner, part of UMD Stores, offers several laptop specials featuring extended warranties and competitive prices. Their toll free phone number is (866) 726-8631. Students may be able to get a tax break when purchasing a laptop on campus; contact Jim Kolar for details. Laptops may by purchased from any vendor, as preferred.
Minimum Laptop Specifications:
- Windows 7 or Mac OS 10.6 (or newer) 10.6
- 2 GHz processor (multi-core Intel, AMD, or Mac)
120 GB or larger hard drive
2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended for 64-bit OS)
802.11g or newer Wireless network
10/100 Ethernet network
CD-RW /DVD-ROM drive
1 GB USB Flash Drive (to transfer files)
- 3-4 year Service/Maintenance plan
- Accidental Damage Plan or Insurance
- VGA external display adapter
- ITSS's Computer Maintenance supports computer equipment from some vendors.
- Other software such as Microsoft Windows 7 or MS Office is subsidized by the University and available at a greatly reduced fee. Please refer to ITSS's Software Page.
Financial Aid for Laptop Purchase
- All UMD students may include the cost of a personal computer in their Financial Aid request. Contact the UMD Office of Admissions for more information, at (800) 232-1339, or (218) 726-7171, or email@example.com.
- To determine if the cost of the computer can be included in your financial aid package, see the "Request to Include the Cost of Personal Computer" form at: http://www.d.umn.edu/fareg/forms.htm.
Collegiate Technology Requirements
UMD's Collegiate Unit Technology Requirements page shows requirements for all the collegiate units.