Choose a major in a subject you LOVE learning about!
CHOOSING A MAJOR
Exploring, Changing, Affirming
Learn about majors available at UMD
Click on this to check out the wide range of career choices you can pursue in every major
- Check out the personality indicator on the left.
- Visit the UMD Career Services office for information on taking the Strengths Quest survey.
- Take the College Major Profile Quiz
What criteria should you go by when making this decision?
- Check out Sallie Mae's Guide to Choosing A Major
- Check out the resources in the column on the left.
- Circle courses that highly interest you
- Cross off courses you know you would not like
- Don't mark courses you feel neutral about
- In which subject area(s) did you circle the most classes? That's a clue to a major that may be a very good fit for you!
Run a "What If" APAS report to see where you stand in a major, given the classes you have already taken.
You can look up a career and find out what it is all about, starting salaries, job outlook for the next 10 years, related careers, what educational level and training you need, if there is a specific major associated with it, and where the jobs are.
Identify what jobs are in demand, have the largest employment, or are experiencing declining employment.
Find the fastest-growing occupations. Includes details about employment, wages, and education.
Occupations with the Most Openings
Create a list of occupations with the most openings by state or nationwide. Includes details about employment, number of estimated openings, wages, and education.
Occupations with the Largest Employment
Find national and state occupations with the largest employment. Includes details about employment, earnings, and education.
Occupations with Declining Employment
Create a list of occupations with the largest declines in employment by state or nationwide. Includes details about employment, earnings, and education.
The top 300 careers with the highest job satisfaction ratings
Forbes Magazine list of what careers people find most satisfying
At the CEHSP Advising Office you can meet with Susan Darge Lombardo who works with students who are exploring, declaring, or changing majors. Call 726-7156 or stop by 120 Bohannon Hall for an appointment or send her an email at email@example.com
Use this for declaring a major in CEHSP. Turn it in at the 120 Bohannon front desk.
See Career Services to explore careers and further educational opportunities and internships.
««« Check out the "Know Yourself" resources in the yellow column on the left of this web page.