CEHSP Scholarship Opportunities for Undergraduate and Graduate Students
Scholarships are generally awarded in the spring for the following academic year. However, some scholarships may be offered on a different cycle. All applications are maintained for the year and students remain eligible for any scholarships for which they qualify as they are awarded through the academic year.
Scholarships available through CEHSP and its individual departments are listed below. Students who wish to be considered for scholarships must apply each year by submitting an application by the stated deadline. Please read the application instructions and scholarship descriptions carefully to determine which you qualify for and be sure to submit a complete application.
An Honors Convocation is scheduled for Wednesday, April 30, 2014 from 3:00-5:00 pm to honor and recognize CEHSP scholarship recipients.
In addition to the scholarships listed on this page, CEHSP students are also eligible for campus scholarships. Information and application materials can be found at
Please review the CEHSP departmental scholarships below. Please read the criteria and decriptions carefully to determine what you qualify for.
New in 2014 - We have moved to an online application process in CEHSP. Please submit an Electronic Application. Please provide all information requested, and indicate the scholarships for which you are applying. You only need to submit one application regardless of the number of scholarships for which you apply.
A complete application should have the following attached:
- Current resume (include specific information about work experience, extra-curricular activities, leadership experiences, etc.)
- Letter of application that includes why you have chosen your major (career plans), how you are financing your college education (e.g., work, loans, grants, etc.; be specific); and any other information about yourself that would be of interest to the selection committee.
- A current APAS report (printer friendly version)
Submit a complete application online BY FEBRUARY 7, 2014.
- Recipients will be notified via email by April 4, 2014.
- Contact Aron Kramer at 218-726-6692 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Student note: if you need and will request reference letters from faculty, please complete the Student Reference Request Form for the faculty member.
College of Education and Human Service Professions
Bohannon Merit Scholarship
- This scholarship is only awarded to students enterting their senior year with majors in the College of Education and Human Service Professions. Selection is based on:
- (1) cumulative GPA
- (2) GPA within the major
- (3) performance in extra-curricular activities (service or professional)
- (4) performance in community involvements
- (5) favorable work experiences
- Financial need is not a factor. Attach an additional page to the application providing information on items 3 through 5 of the Bohannon Merit selection criteria.
Communication Science Disorders (CSD)
Eleanor M. Kureski Scholarship
- Awarded to a student entering their senior year pursuing a degree in Communication Science and Disorders. Students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher
Lions Club Scholarship
- Awarded to a promising audiologist in their junior year of enrollment. A second, additional application is required for this scholarship. (Lions application as a Word file) or (Lions application as a PDF file).
All Education scholarships are for students who have been admitted to a licensure program, except where noted.
Gust and Dagny Bohlin Scholarship
- Awarded to a full-time junior or senior year Education student in good academic standing. Preference given to those with a GPA of 3.0 or better.
Ann Borken Scholarship
- Awarded to a full-time undergraduate student pursuing a degree in Elementary Education entering their junior year of study. The student shall maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better and demonstrate financial need.
Jerry and Louise Chernagoy Scholarship
- Awarded to a full-time Elementary Education student in their junior year with a GPA of 3.0 or better.
LaVerne I. and Marvin L. Colness Scholarship
- Awarded to students pursuing a degree in Elementary Education entering their junior year of study with a GPA of 3.0 or better.
Moy F. and Dorothy Gum Scholarship
- Awarded to students entering their junior year pursuing elementary education or school counseling. Students must have a GPA of 3.0 or better and demonstrate financial need.
Frederick W. Hart Memorial Scholarship
- Awarded to a full- time student entering their junior year of study in K-12 Education. Must be in good academic standing.
June B. Hendrickson Scholarship
- Awarded to a full-time Elementary or Secondary Education student. Students must be entering their junior year of study with GPA of 3.0 or better and be a graduate of Hibbing High School or transfer student from Hibbing Community College.
Marvin and Judy Hoops Scholarship
- Awarded to a full-time student majoring in Elementary Education.
John Jurkovich Scholarship
- Awarded to full-time junior or senior Education students, with a record of academic excellence. Financial need must be demonstrated by use of the FAFSA. Recipients of this scholarship are determined by the donor. An additional application form ( Jurkovich application as a Word file) is required for consideration of this Scholarship. Submit with the CEHSP application packet. Deadline for turning in FAFSA report is March 31.
John Kernik Scholarship
- Awarded to Mathematics majors who are also in the Educational Technology Certificate Program.
Carole J. Olsson Levens Scholarship
- Awarded to full-time Unified Early Childhood Education major in their junior or senior year of study with a GPA of 3.0 or better. Preference given to students from northeastern Minnesota.
Leilla L. McIntire Scholarship
- Awarded to full time education student in good academic standing.
Elva C. Moore Scholarship
- Awarded to an student in their junior year majoring in Unified Early Childhood Studies.
Verna V. Salmela Norha Scholarship
- Awarded to a student in their junior or senior year majoring in elementary education. Student must demonstrate financial need and be in good academic standing.
Stephen Somsen Scholarship
- Awarded to a full-time Elementary Education student in their junior year with high moral character, with a GPA of 3.0 or better, and who participates in extracurricular university activities. Financial need must be demonstrated by use of FAFSA.
Allen Willman Scholarship
- Awarded to any highly motivated, full-time Education major in good academic standing.
Health, Physical Education, and Recreation (HPER)
Jerry and Louise Chernagoy Scholarship
- Awarded to a full time Health Education student in their junior year with a GPA of 3.0 or better.
Iver Bogen and Jane Maddy Scholarship
- Awarded to a junior Psychology major (62-86 credits) with at least an overall GPA of 3.00 and at least a Psychology coursework GPA of 3.50. This scholarship honors Dr.'s Bogen and Maddy who retired from the Department of Psychology after years of award winning teaching and dedication to UMD students. Include, in your letter of application, a statement about your goals after graduation and how you will benefit from this scholarship.
Claudia A. Johnson Reaching Higher Scholarship
- Awarded to students majoring in psychology who are in good academic standing and work with UMD faculty on research apprenticeship opportunities.
Kamal Gindy Memorial Scholarship
- Awarded to a Psychology Major entering his/her junior year (having at least 48 credits) or senior year (62-86 credits). Must be a full-time student (minimum of 12 credits/semester), have a UMD cumulative GPA of 3.00 and a Psychology coursework GPA of 3.25. Eligible applicants must indicate in their statements about their goals how they embody Dr. Kamal Gindy's spirit of helping people (e.g., helping their peers through peer advising, tutoring or improving their communities through volunteering, community activism or arts.) Please also indicate how you will benefit from this schoalarship.
Psychology Legacy Scholarship
- Awarded to Psychology majors, especially students seeking new careers or returning from a gap in their careers.
Graduate School students are eligible to apply for scholarships distributed from the Twin Cities campus. More information at the Graduate Fellowship Office.
Communication Science Disorders (CSD)
Edwin H. Eddy Foundation Scholarship
- Awarded to graduate students in Communication Science and Disorders. Minimum overall grade point average of 3.3 required. Recipients must agree to volunteer their time to a local high school to help in recruiting efforts in the CSD program. Please see Michelle Tessier at Chester Park (726-7974) if you are interested in this scholarship.
Robert F. Pierce Scholarship for Academic Excellence
- Awarded to the top incoming graduate student. No application process is required. The student receiving this scholarship is not eligible for the Edwin H. Eddy Scholarship.
- High ability, non-resident, non-reciprocity graduate students. Department applies for the funds on behalf of the student and the student must be a resident of the United States.
Fellowship and Block Grants
- The Department will offer fellowships to students ranking at the top of the graduate applicant pool. Students are automatically considered for a fellowship or block grant award with their completed Graduate school application.
Social work scholarships are available to graduate level students only. Application information is available at the Department of Social Work's Admission & Fellowship Information page.
Fellowships and Block Grants
- Offered to students ranking at the top of the graduate applicant pool. Additional fellowships available at the Graduate Fellowship Office.
Will Dodge Memorial
- Supports students in their efforts to develop grass roots community organizing skills.
Peggy L. Scheller
- MSW student in good academic standing with interest in rural outreach services.
Don & Sylvia Schmid American Indian Child Welfare Leaders Scholarship
- Supports American Indian students in the Master of Social Work program.