Graduate Program Council
April 10, 2012
Present: Julie Ernst, Bob Lloyd, Mike Raschick, Diane Rauschenfels, Faith Loven, Bruce Munson (ex officio)
1. Educ 7018 proposal
- There was a question and discussion about this proposal being only 3 cr vs 4 cr
(similar to 4 cr Psy 3020 PLUS experimental design.
- It was questioned why this was a 7xxx class. The explanation was that 7xxx is used for the MEd program.
the course seems to be oriented towards a broad
understanding as opposed to a fully applied understanding. It was stated
the goal for masters’
students is primarily to develop their ability to be ‘consumers of
research.’ Therefore the course description should say something like:
An introduction to basic understanding
of educational statistics and and how to interpret the results.
- It was suggested that the course consider including SPSS experience.
- It was recommended that the proposal delete the reference to #18 (saying
that it is equivalent to PSY 3020).
- It was recommended that the catalog description be revised to
emphasize ‘Introductory focus……’ (revise
‘The topics include levels of measurement’ instead of ‘measurement scale.’ Also check ‘measuring relations’. )
Check description with conceptual outline.
- Outcome B should be clarified.
- It was pointed out that there needs to be alignment between catalog
description - #5; #25; #26 – need reference to ‘interpret results’ as part of
Ernst will assist in reviewing the revisions.
The course was approved with revisions.