Graduate Program Council
March 11, 2010
Present: Bob Lloyd, Dennis Falk, Joyce Strand, Ken Gilbertson, Bruce Munson (ex officio)
Absent: Faith Loven could not make the meeting, but provided email support for the curriculum proposal
- SW 8235
- Changes to proposal item #13 (repetition) was discussed.
- #21, recommendation that reference to ‘Moodle’ be eliminated and a more generic phrase, such as ‘course management software’ be inserted.
- Unanimous approval with minor changes
- Graduate Council Executive Committee
- A brief report provided by Joyce Strand
- July 1 is still the implementation date
- UMD graduate committee
- Sign-offs on graduate student forms and recommendation for degree will be moving to electronic signature.
- College and departmental masters’ curriculum approval is now going before the Graduate committee. This represents a change from past practice.
- Graduate student writing skills
- Denny identified a need for assessing, tutoring, and supporting graduate students who need assistance with their writing skills. He has proposed a writing center for graduate students.
- The GPC identified punctuation, grammar, paragraphs, parallel construction, and development of logical arguments.
- Ken noted the importance of continuity in developing students’ writing skills.