Academic Affairs Council
December 18, 2002
Present: Kent Brorson, Randy Gordon, Dan Glisczinski, Ken Gilbertson (Chair), Jackie Millslagle (ex-officio).
Chair Gilbertson initiated a general discussion on the responsibilities of the committee to clarify the type of curricular issues that should receive the scrutiny of the Council. This followed a rather intense review of the course objectives/outcomes piece on course proposals during the last meeting. It was agreed that it is more practical to look at this section of the proposal as "outcomes" (goal statements) rather than "measurable" objectives. The Council will look for realistic and consistent outcomes, and provide checks and balances for curriculum in terms of duplication, impact on programs across the College, and across the University. The Council will also raise issues of resources for administrative consideration, but will not consider resources in approving/disapproving a curricular proposal. This is consistent with the role of the Council, to approve curriculum for recommendation to the Dean.
Four proposals related to 5000-level courses from Exercise Science which were originally submitted to GPC were referred back to this committee as the courses are requirements in undergraduate programs only. Motion/second to approve the following items:
- CC # 58 Change PEP 5041, Applied and Experimental Exercise Physiology, (; prereq 3040 or #, exer sci candidate with 90 cr or quick enroll or grad student) to ESAD 4710 (; prereq 5700 or PEP 5700 or #,§PEP 5041 exer sci candidate with 90 cr;)
- CC # 59 Drop PEP 5290, Research in Motor Learning
- CC # 60 Drop PEP 5301, Techniques and Research in Computerized Videography
- CC # 61 Change PEP 5700, Research in Exercise Science (; prereq Exer Sci major, 75 credits, #;) to ESAT 4700 (; §PEP 5700, prereq Exer Sci candidate, 75 credits, #;)
Motion/second to approve prefix, number, and prerequisite changes as indicated for the following courses. MOTION CARRIED.
- CC # 51 Change PEP 3020, Motor Learning (; prereq Exercise science or PE candidate or #), to ESAT 3200 (; prereq §PEP 3020, Athletic training, Exercise science or PE Candidate or # ;)
- CC # 52 Change PEP 3021, Exercise Adherence (; prereq Psy 1003, Ex Sci or PE major), to ESAT 3210 (; prereq Psy 1003, §PEP 3021, Athletic training or Exercise Science candiate or #;)
- CC # 53 Change PEP 3030, Human Biomechanics (; prereq #;) to ESAT 3300 (;prereq Phys 1001, §PEP 3030, Athletic training or Exercise science candidate or #;)
- CC # 54 Change PEP 3040, Exercise Physiology (; prereq Hlth 2040, PE or Ex Sci candidate or #;) to ESAT 3400 (; prereq Hlth 2040, §PEP 3040, Athletic trianing or Exercise science candidate or #;)
- CC # 55, Change PEP 3400, Exercise Testing and Prescription (; prereq 3040, Ex Sci cand or # ;) to ESAT 3420 (; prereq 3300 or PEP 3030, 3400 or PEP 3040, §PEP 3400; Athletic training or Exercise science candidate or #)
- CC # 56, Change PEP 3402, Prin of Strength and Conditioning Programs (; prereq 3020, 3030, 3040, ex sci major;) to ESAT 3430 (; prereq 3300 or PEP 3030, 3400 or PEP 3040, §PEP 3402,; Athletic training or Exercise science candidate or #;)
- CC # 57 Change PEP 3470, Sports Nutrition (; prereq 3040, Hlth 2040, PE 3470, Ex Sci or Hlth Ed or Rrec Cand or #;) to ESAT 3410 (; prereq 3400 or PEP 3040 or Hlth 2040, §PE 3470, §PEP 3470, Ath Tr or Ex Sci or Hlth Ed or Rec Cand or #;)
Motion/second to approve (with modification to Semester Prerequisite Text) CC # 73, change PEP 3010, Adapted Physical Education, 2 credits to 3 credits. MOTION CARRIED. When a question was raised, Gilbertson indicated that recent changes through the Council are part of a review of the PE major and that the number of credits required overall was being lowered.
Motion/second to approve CC # 75, Add Psy 3631, Cognitive Develoment, 3 credits. This will be an upper division elective in the psychology major. MOTION CARRIED.
Motion/second to approve CC # 76, Change Hlth 2040, Principles of Human Physiology, 3 cr. (SP--1 sem each of college biol., chem, anat recommended; HlEd, PE, Rec or Exer Sci major or cand; A-F only), to 4 credits (SP--1 sem each of college biol., chem, anat recommended; Ath Tr; Hlth, PE, Rec or Exer Sci major or cand; A-F only). CSD majors will no longer be allowed to enroll in this course for resource issues; Brorson expressed concern in that department that no appropriate physiology course is now available for CSD majors. MOTION CARRIED.
Motion/second to approve (with inclusion of old title on forms) CC # 77, Change Hlth 1700, Advanced First Aid, to Emergency response. MOTION CARRIED.
Motion/second to approve the following health education proposals as indicated. Impetus for changes is from discipline accrediting body. MOTION CARRIED.
- CC # 28, Add Hlth 3303, Health Education and Promotion Program Planning, 3 credits
- CC # 29, Add Hlth 3305, Community Health Methods and Strategies, 3 credits
- CC # 30, Add Hlth 4000, Professional issues for Health Educators, 3 credits
- CC # 74, Drop Hlth 3450, Health Promotion Programming (content being moved to 2 new courses)
- CC # 75, Change Hlth 3302, Health Education Methods and Materials, to School Health Education Methods and Materials (see curriculum proposal for new course description).
Motion/second to approve the following changes in Athletic Training with modification: change prerequisite from instructor consent to utilize plan codes; provide a complete list of courses being dropped; remove extraneous information from proposal forms; correct contact hour exception indicator on two proposals. Resource concerns will be carried to the Dean. MOTION CARRIED.
- CC # TBD, Drop
- PEP 2620, Essentials of Athletic Training, 2 cr
- PEP 2610, Introduction to Athletic Training, 2 cr.
- PEP 3600, Techniques in Preventing Athletic Injury I, 3 cr.
- PEP 3620, Techniques in Preventing Athletic Injury II, 4 cr.
- PEP 3650 Administration of Athletic Training, 3 cr.
- PEP 3632, Advanced Athletic Training, 2 cr.
- PEP 3997, Athletic Training Practicum, 3 cr.
- PEP 3610, Therapeutic Exercise, 3 cr.
- PEP 3630, Administrative Aspects of Athletic Training, 2 cr.
- PEP 3640, Principles of Therapeutic Modalities, 3 cr.
- CC # 78, Add ESAT 2610, Introduction to Aathletic Training, 3 cr.
- CC # 79, Add ESAT 2620, Athletic Emergency Care, 2 cr.
- CC # 80, Add ESAT 2697, Clinical Experiences in Athletic Training I
- CC # 81, Add ESAT 2698, Clinical Experiences in Athletic Training II
- CC # 82, Add ESAT 3600, Fundamentals of Athletiac Training Evaluation, 3 cr.
- CC # 83, Add ESAT 3630, Upper Extremity Injuries, 3 cr.
- CC # 84, Add ESAT 3632, Lower Extremity Injuries, 3 cr.
- CC # 85, Add ESAT 3640, Therapeutic Modalities, 3 cr.
- CC # 86, Add ESAT 3642, Therapeutic Exercise, 3 cr.
- CC # 87, Add ESAT 3697, Clinical Experiences in Athletic Training III, 2 cr.
- CC # 88, Add ESAT 3698, Clinical Experiences in Athletic Training IV, 2 cr.
- CC # 89, Add ESAT 4001, Pharmacology in Athletic Training, 2 cr.
- CC # 90, Add ESAT 4600, Senior Seminar in Athletic Training, 3 cr.
- CC # 91, Add ESAT 4646, Medical Aspects of Athletic Training, 3 cr.
- CC # 92, Add ESAT 4650, Administrative Aspects of Athletic Training, 3 cr.
- CC # 93, Add ESAT 4697, Clinical Experiences in Athletic Training V, 2 cr.
- CC # 94, Add ESAT 4698, Clinical Experiences in Athletic TrAining VI, 2 cr.
Meeting for spring semester will be at 4:00 on Wednesday, bi-weekly starting the second week of the semester. Meetings will be cancelled if there are no agenda items. Dates are: Jan 29, Feb 12, 26, March 12, 26, April 9, 23, May 7.
Jackie Millslagle, Recorder