Preparing for an Interview
Thorough preparation is an essential part of being successful at an interview. Career and Internship Services provides a variety of opportunities for students to prepare for interviews:
- The Career Handbook outlines keys to successful interviewing.
- You can practice interviewing online with InterviewStream.
- Career counselors are available by appointment to work with students to prepare for an interview as well as to conduct practice interviews.
- Employers provide realistic interview practice for students on occasion. Check Recruiters-Mock Interviews.
- The Career Resource Center has several books outlining effective preparation strategies and sample questions that may be asked in a job interview. Information on many local, regional and national businesses may also be found in the resource center.
Getting an Interview
- Employers hold interviews on-campus throughout the year. Check Recruiters-On-Campus Interviews for a schedule.
- Employers attending Job and Internship Fairs often select candidates at the fair for interviews.
- Check On-Campus Interviews in GoldPASS. Listings will include interviews being held at UMD, as well as interviews at other U of M campuses that are open to UMD students.
- Prepare your resume and get it critiqued to increase your chances of being selected for an interview when applying for a position.
Practice Interviewing Online - FREE!