Graduate School Timeline
The following is a list of suggested activities to help keep you on track while preparing and applying to graduate school. For professional school (e.g., Medical, Law, Physical Therapy) please go to the centralized application services for specific information and deadlines on your program.
Tip: Print this page to get a list with boxes you can check off as you complete each activity.
- Research schools or programs you are interested in to determine timeline for applying and application requirements
- Consider preparing for and taking required admissions tests (e.g. GRE, GMAT, MCAT)
- Meet with faculty members and careers counselors to discuss programs and options
- Create and maintain contacts with potential recommendation writers (e.g. faculty, supervisors)
- Select schools to apply to
- Finish preparing for and registering to take admissions tests if not already completed
- Talk to faculty advisors, professors and career counselors for advice
- Begin filling out online applications
- Begin writing your personal statement
- Take required admissions tests if not already completed
- Identify and contact at least three people to write letters of recommendation
- Visit institutions of interest, if possible
- Budget for application fees (typically $50.00-$75.00 or more per school) plus official transcript fees ($12 per official UMD transcript)
- Finish writing personal statement and have Career Services and faculty or advisor proofread the statement
- Complete and submit applications
- Continue to complete applications for admission, assistantships, and fellowships
- Confirm that letters of recommendation have been sent by deadlines
- Send thank you notes to recommendation writers
- Finish and send in remaining applications
- Fill out the Federal Student Aid Application (FAFSA).
- You are automatically considered an independent student for financial aid purposes for graduate school
- Prepare for graduate school interviews, if required
- Send thank you notes to interviewers
- Let your reference writers, professors, and Career Services know where you got in and where you're going
- Fill out the Graduate Follow-Up Survey
- Continue to apply for assistantships if you don't already have one
- Make housing arrangements
and finally . . . ENJOY THE REST OF YOUR SUMMER!!
*Adapted from Hartwick College Trustee Center