You are here
Campus Assessment Practices
Assessment of Student Learning at UMD requires curricular and co-curricular programs to:
- Determine program learning outcomes and map each one to the UMD Undergraduate Student Learning Outcomes or Graduate Goal Categories as appropriate. A learning outcome is a measurable statement of how student learning goals are achieved, whereas a goal is what we want students to achieve.
- Post program learning outcomes on the program website.
- Maintain an assessment plan specifying details such as how and when program assessment is conducted throughout the campus's 3-year assessment cycle.
- Include course student learning outcomes and related requirements on syllabi as stated on the current UMD Syllabus Policy.
- Involve program faculty/staff in the assessment process.
- Identify a Program Assessment Liaison (PAL) to serve as the contact for the program.
- Seek external judgment, advice, and/or benchmarks in assessments to provide additional perspective.
- Conduct assessment for program learning outcomes consistent with the assessment plan.
- Inform program evaluation using assessment results.
- Complete and submit an Annual Program Assessment Report (fall).
- Submit program assessment information on the Campus Assessment Data form (fall).
- Participate in the annual program assessment peer review process (fall). PALs represent their respective programs at the review.
- Make changes to improve student learning within the program as indicated by student assessment data and faculty analysis. Student performance, as measured by assessment results over time, can provide evidence to determine effects of programmatic changes on student learning. PALs document programmatic changes through the Closing-the-Loop Update (spring) and on Annual Program Assessment Reports as appropriate.
- Use comprehensive program assessment data as part of Program Review or Program Evaluation processes.
The videos below describe campus assessment practices and how assessment contributes to a positive culture of continuous improvement.