University of Minnesota Duluth
MyU | Search | People | Departments | Events | News

Accommodations & Services

Need an Appointment?

Current UMD students may schedule an appointment with a disability specialist in person at 258 KSC or may call Mary Kaye at (218) 726-6130. We are not able to make appointments by e-mail.

  • You will be asked to complete a Request for Accommodations form.
    • Alternately, you may complete your Request for Accommodations form on line.
      Print it out, sign it, and bring it to DR when you come in.
  • Provide a copy of your disability documentation
    • If you do not have your documentation, you will be asked to sign a release so we can send for it. Bring the name and address of the service provider who can provide your documentation to your appointment.


Obtaining Accommodations

  • All accommodations are arranged through your disability specialist.
  • Bring your course schedule and class syllabi to your appointment.
  • Fill out all needed accommodation forms completely
    • Test Accommodation forms are available only from DR specialists.
    • Note Taking requests are available outside of Mary Kaye's office (KSC 258)
    • Alternative Format Book requests are to be submitted on line.
  • Print out a Letter of Accommodation (LOA) for each professor
  • Meet with each professor. Take your LOA and test request forms to this meeting.
  • Bring the white copy of your test accommodation forms to Mary Kaye at least three working days before your first exam in that class.
  • All changes in exam dates, times, or other information on the Test Request Form must be made in writing using the Test Change Form. Failure to do so will result in being sent back to the classroom.


Letter of Accommodation (LOA)

Your disability specialist will write a Letter of Accommodation (LOA) to your professors that outlines your approved accommodations. The LOA is e-mailed to you to give you control over it. The LOA is designed to begin conversation with your professor. Professors may have questions about your accommodations, or you may want to provide more information to your professor.

Some students choose to e-mail the LOA to their professors. If you choose to e-mail yours...

  • Write a note of explanation in your e-mail. (See Suggested E-mail Template.)
  • You must still meet with professors to get your accommodation forms signed.


Please note:

Your LOA and accommodations are for the classes you are taking this semester. Next semester, when you have new classes, you will need to see your disability specialist for accommodations for your new classes. Remember:

  • You need a new LOA each term.
  • Meet with your disability specialist early each new semester.


© 2016 University of Minnesota Duluth
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
Last modified on 05/04/15 09:41 AM
University of Minnesota Campuses
Crookston | Duluth | Morris
Rochester | Twin Cities | Other Locations