You are here
Unified Early Childhood Studies B.A.Sc.
The Bachelor of Applied Science (B.A.Sc.) in Unified Early Childhood Studies (UECH) offers an interdisciplinary curriculum that prepare students for work in a variety of settings with children of diverse ability levels, from birth through age eight. Graduates find employment in public schools, community and private preschool programs, early primary grades in elementary schools, programs for children ages birth through six with identified disabilities or delays, home- and center-based child care, Head Start programs, and hospital-based settings.
- Graduates qualify for dual licensure in Early Childhood (birth - grade 3) and Early Childhood Special Education (birth - age 6).
- Small student to faculty ratio allows for more individualized attention.
- Integration of general education and special education curriculum throughout the program.
- Only bachelors level early childhood special education program in Minnesota.
- Integrated with the UMD on-campus child center.
UECH candidate classroom hours:
- Foundations Courses = 60 hours
- Block 1 = 96 hours
- Block 2 = 96 hours
- Block 3 = 210 hours
- Block 4, student teaching K-3 General Education, 12 weeks = 480 hours
- Block 5, student teaching Early Childhood Special Education, 12 weeks = 480 hours
- Grand total of 1422 hours in the classroom.
- Engage in hands on experiences with children.
- Participate in infant, toddler, and preschool placements in general education and special education classrooms and programs.
- Over 400 hours of working with children prior to student teaching.
Entry level positions include K-3 General Education Teacher, Early Childhood Special Education Teacher, Child Advocate and Child Care Center Director. Advanced degree positions include Dean of Students, Principal, Academic Advisor and School Counselor.
Admissions and Scholarships
Faculty participate in scholarly and service based efforts at the national, state and local levels.
Faculty has combined experience 100 years in ech, ecse, infant mental health, administration, higher ed, and family ed.
Faculty have won campus and college awards for outstanding teaching, advising, and service.
Recent UMD Graduates Job Placement Data & Employers
Here's a sampling of positions Unified Early Childhood Studies grads have attained six months to one year after graduation.
- St. Croix County, Hudson, WI - Planning & GIS Technician
- Zeitgeist Arts, Duluth, MN - Community Development Manager
- Undergrad/Technical, GIS Certificate, University of Minnesota Duluth