You are here
Teaching Social Studies B.A.A.
The Bachelor of Applied Arts (B.A.A.) in teaching social studies is an interdisciplinary major with lower division coursework in each of eight areas: anthropology, economics, geography, history, political science, psychology, sociology, and women’s studies. Students select one of these areas in which to complete an upper division emphasis. Within the teacher education program, students will have hands-on exposure to classrooms through volunteer experiences, observation, and student teaching. Students will be exposed to lesson planning, curriculum design, student development, technology, and diversity in the classroom.
- Graduates will be eligible for licensure in Teaching Social Studies grades 5-12.
- Focused course work on teaching about and with Native Americans, as well as the role of diversity in American education; candidates develop an understanding of working with all learners.
- Field-based program with many weeks of opportunities to be immersed in multiple classrooms.
- Opportunity to student teach abroad.
- STEP candidates classroom hours
- Block 1 = 60 hours
- Block 2 = 60 hours
- Block 3, student teaching 16 weeks = 640 hours
- Grand total of 760 hours in the classroom.
- Design and teach effective lessons.
- Create instruction opportunities that are adapted to students with diverse backgrounds and exceptionalities.
- Understand use of data for instructional and program improvement.
Entry level positions include middle or high school teacher, student affairs in higher education. Advanced degree positions include dean of students, principal, school counselor, community college instructor.
Admissions and Scholarships
Faculty have won campus & college awards for outstanding teaching, research, advising and service. They are dedicated teachers, academic advisors, scholarly researchers and curriculum designers.
Recent UMD Graduates Job Placement Data & Employers
Here's a sampling of positions Teaching Social Studies grads have attained six months to one year after graduation.
- 6th Grade Teacher - Dugsi Academy, St. Paul, MN
- 7th Grade Teacher - Eastern Carver County Schools, Chaska Middle School West, Chaska, MN
- High School Social Studies Teacher - Ortonville Public School, Ortonville, MN
- German & Social Studies Teacher - Phillips School District, Phillips, WI