You are here
Teaching Sciences (Earth and Space, Life, and Physical Sciences - Chemistry or Physics) B.A.Sc.
Teaching Science at UMD prepares students for licensure in general science grades 5-8 as well as a second license in a chosen content area: Earth & Space Science, Life Science, or Physical Science. All students will learn core science coursework in Biology, Chemistry, Geology, Physics, and Mathematics while learning how to teach sciences both inside and outside the classroom, integrating environmental education into formal and non-formal settings such as parks and nature centers.
- Graduates will be eligible for licensure in general science grades 5-8 in addition to one of the following: Teaching Life Science 9-12, Teaching Earth & Space Science 9-12, Teaching Physics 9-12, or Teaching Chemistry 9-12.
- Graduates are highly sought after for their in-depth understand of science, teaching, and technology.
- Field-based program with 40+ weeks of opportunities to be immersed in multiple classrooms.
- STEP candidates classroom hours:
- Block 1 = 60+ hours
- Block 2 = 60+ hours
- Block 3, student teaching 16 weeks. = 640 hours
- Grand total of a minimum 760 hours in the classroom
- Design and teach effective lessons.
- Create instruction opportunities that are adapted to students with diverse -backgrounds and exceptionalities.
- Use data to inform and improve instruction and programs.
Entry level positions include Middle or High School Teacher, teach science in a non formal educational setting such as a zoo, park or museum. Advanced degree positions include Principal, Dean of Students, School Counselor, Community College Instructor.
Admissions and Scholarships
Faculty have won campus & college awards for outstanding teaching, research, advising and service. Faculty members are dedicated teachers, academic advisors, scholarly researchers, curriculum designers.
Recent UMD Graduates Job Placement Data & Employers
Here's a sampling of positions Teaching Sciences grads have attained six months to one year after graduation.
- Science Teacher - West St. Paul-Mendota Heights-Eagan School District 197, West St. Paul, MN
- 5th Grade Science Teacher - Northwest Suburban Integration School District, Rockford Middle SchoolCenter for Environmental Studies, Rockford, MN
- Earth Science Teacher - Virginia Minnesota Public Schools, Virginia, MN