You are here
Teaching Mathematics B.A.Sc.
The Bachelor of Applied Science (B.A.Sc.) in teaching mathematics is offered by the Department of Education in conjunction with the Department of Mathematics and Statistics. Students will expand their mathematical knowledge by taking a variety of mathematics courses, look at mathematics from different perspectives and develop their teaching mathematics knowledge through coursework and classroom experiences.
- Graduates will be eligible for licensure in Teaching Mathematics grades 5-12.
- Program is relevant and current, faculty engage in best practices, professional collaborations, and research in education.
- Field-based program with many weeks of opportunities to be immersed in multiple classrooms.
- Opportunity to student teach abroad.
- STEP candidates classroom hours
- Block 1 = 60 hours
- Block 2 = 60 hours
- Block 3, student teaching 16 weeks = 640 hours
- Grand total of 760 hours in the classroom.
- Design and teach effective lessons.
- Create instruction opportunities that are adapted to students with diverse backgrounds and exceptionalities.
- Understand use of data for instructional and program improvement.
Entry level positions include elementary, middle or high school teacher, student affairs, human resources. Advanced degree positions include Dean of Students, Principal, Community College instructor and School Counselor.
Admissions and Scholarships
Students in CEHSP are eligible to apply for more than 100 scholarships each academic year typically totaling $120,000 annually. For more information on scholarship opportunities, visit our scholarship webpage (https://z.umn.edu/scholarshipcehsp).
Faculty have won campus & college awards for outstanding teaching, research, advising and service.
Faculty members are dedicated teachers, academic advisors, scholarly researchers, curriculum designers.
Recent UMD Graduates Job Placement Data & Employers
Here's a sampling of positions Teaching Mathematics grads have attained six months to one year after graduation.
- High School Mathematics Teacher - Denver Public Schools, Denver, CO
- 6th Grade Mathematics Teacher - Duluth Edison Charter Schools North Star Academy, Duluth, MN
- Mathematics Teacher - East Range Academy of Technology & Science, Eveleth, MN
- High School Mathematics Teacher - Forest Lake Area Schools, Forest Lake, MN
- High School Mathematics Teacher - Life Skills Center, Toledo, OH