You are here
Teaching Foreign Languages B.A.A.
The Bachelor of Applied Arts (B.A.A.) in teaching French, German or Spanish is offered through the Department of Education in conjunction with the Department of Foreign Languages and Literature. Students will be fully immersed into the language they will teach through coursework, volunteering in the Duluth community and studying abroad.
- Graduates will be eligible for licensure in World Languages & Culture Grades K -12.
- Field-based program with many weeks of opportunities to be immersed in multiple classrooms.
- Opportunity to study and/or student teach abroad (8 weeks in MN and 8 weeks in either Ireland or Slovenia).
- STEP candidates classroom hours:
- Block 1 = 60 hours
- Block 2 = 60 hours
- Block 3, student teaching 16 weeks = 640 hrs.
- Grand total of 760 hours in the classroom.
- Design and teach effective lessons.
- Create instruction opportunities that are adapted to students with diverse backgrounds and exceptionalities.
- Be engaged through active learning.
Entry level positions include elementary, middle or high school teacher, translator, interpreter. Advanced degree positions include Dean of Students, Principal, School Counselor, Superintendent.
Admissions and Scholarships
Students in CEHSP are eligible to apply for more than 100 scholarships each academic year typically totaling $120,000 annually. For more information on scholarship opportunities, visit our scholarship webpage (https://z.umn.edu/scholarshipcehsp).
Faculty have won campus & college awards for outstanding teaching, research, advising and service. They are dedicated teachers, academic advisors, scholarly researchers and curriculum designers.
Recent UMD Graduates Job Placement Data & Employers
Here's a sampling of positions Teaching Foreign Languages grads have attained six months to one year after graduation.
- German & Social Studies Teacher - Phillips School District, Phillips, WI
- Preschool Teacher - The Goddard School, Plymouth, MN
- High School Spanish Teacher - Crown Point Academy Public Charter School, Westminster, CO
- STINTer, Intern - Campus Crusade for Christ, Cru, Trujillo Province, Peru