You are here
Public Health B.A.Sc
Graduates of the public health program are prepared to practice in sites such as public health departments, not-for-profit health agencies, hospitals, corporate work-sites, universities and schools. The program prepares health education specialists to assess, plan, implement, deliver, administer, and evaluate health education programs that promote health and prevent disease. The program provides students with a content rich, professionally approved curriculum that includes state-of-the art technology skills, field experiences, and public engagement. Students with this degree are qualified to sit for Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) exam. Students following the school concentration are also eligible for health education teacher licensure in grades 5-12.
- UMD is one of 21 public health programs nationally to have SABPAC approval. The major is recognized by the profession as a standard for programs preparing baccalaureate entry-level community health educators.
- Service learning and hands-on experience are a staple of the public health program at UMD.
- Students develop important technology and communication skills that are crucial in today’s public health settings.
- Graduates demonstrate commitment to the profession by involvement in organizations and service to university, community and beyond.
- Students will gain experiential understanding of areas of responsibility of a health education specialist through active learning.
- Effectively communicate through several mediums including oral, written, and multimedia.
- Understand theories and research used in health education.
- Work with diverse people in determining their needs for public health programming.
Entry level positions:
- Community Health Education Specialist
- Development Specialist
- Health Coach
- Patient Education Coordinator
- Prevention Program Director
- Wellness Coordinator
- Middle and High School Health Education Teacher (School concentration)
Advanced Degrees in:
- Occupational Therapy
- Environmental Health & Safety
- Risk Control
- Public Health
- Sports Administration and Leadership
Admissions and Scholarships
- Actively conduct research. Interests include: complementary and alternative medicine, arts and health.
- Presented at international and national conferences.
- Published in peer-reviewed journals.
Recent UMD Graduates Job Placement Data & Employers
Here's a sampling of positions Public Health Education and Promotion B.A.Sc grads have attained six months to one year after graduation.
- Community Health Education Specialist - Lower Sioux Health Center, Morton, MN
- Health Plan Specialist - Medica, Minnetonka, MN
- Residential Treatment Counselor - Northwood Children's Services, Duluth, MN
- Undergrad/Technical, Nursing, Central Lakes College, Brainerd, MN
For more data see the Public Health Education and Promotion B.A.Sc Graduate Follow-Up Report.
For ideas about Public Health Education and Promotion B.A.Sc and other majors visit Career & Internship Services.