You are here
Political Science minor
Interested in Politics? Interested in Government? Interested in International Relations? Then study Political Science. We get into all the big arguments. We get into the arguments behind the arguments. Most important of all though we get into the facts and evidence without which Politics is just so much hot air.
- Minoring in Political Science at UMD lets you work with professors who are national and international experts in their fields.
- Our professors author books and publish articles on subjects as diverse as political psychology, violence and women, nuclear weapons, and secret diplomacy, but we share a passion for teaching.
- Choose Political Science at UMD and you will be part of a flexible program which lets you concentrate on the issues and questions which matter to you.
Study Political Science at UMD and your will acquire the skills of reading, writing, thinking, and speaking clearly and critically about Politics, Government and International Relations. You'll learn how to win political arguments at family dinners. More importantly, you learn why trying to win is not always the most important thing in Politics.
Admissions and Scholarships
UMD Political Science has many scholarship opportunities with annual awards raging from two or three hundred dollars to two or three thousand dollars. For example:
- the UMD Gerhard E. von Glahn Scholarship is awarded to the Political Science sophomore with the best overall GPA;
- the UMD Diane & Calvin Rudolph Family Scholarship is awarded to undergraduate students with need who are studying pre-law or have the potential to be accepted into law school; and,
- the UMD Wolff Memorial Scholarship is awarded to a full-time, undergraduate student majoring in Political Science with 3.0 minimum GPA and demonstrated financial need.
Majoring or Minoring at UMD is not just about taking courses. You will also be able to join the Political Science Association, the Pre-Law Club, and the Mock Trial Team where you will meet and make friendships, sometimes life long friendships, with students like your self and students who are nothing like you at all!