You are here
Integrated Elementary and Special Education B.A.Sc.
The Bachelor of Applied Science (B.A.Sc.) in Integrated Elementary and Special Education (IESE) qualifies students to apply for state licensure to teach K-6 general elementary education and K-12 special education in the areas of learning disabilities, emotional behavior disorders, autism spectrum, developmental cognitive delay, and other health impairments within the mild to moderate range. This multi-categorical special education license is called Academic and Behavioral Strategist (ABS).
- Graduates qualify for licensure in K-6 Elementary Education and K-12 Academic & Behavioral Strategist Special Education
- Emphasis in theory and teaching strategies in literacy and language arts, math, social studies, science, classroom and behavior management, assessment and academic intervention.
- More than 750 hours of structured and supervised work in area classrooms prior to student teaching.
- Total of 1808 hours in the classroom (student teaching 2 semester)
- Student teach abroad in Ireland or Slovenia
- Build positive relationships with other teachers, parents, families, and other adults.
- Engage students in active learning.
- Plan and teach effective lessons that address the varying needs of the children they are working with in both regular and special education settings.
Entry level positions include Elementary Education Teacher, Special Education Teacher and Tutoring Services. Advanced degree positions include Dean of Students, Principal, Academic Advisor, and School Counselor.
Admissions and Scholarships
Students in CEHSP are eligible to apply for more than 100 scholarships each academic year typically totaling $120,000 annually. For more information on scholarship opportunities, visit our scholarship webpage (https://z.umn.edu/scholarshipcehsp).
Faculty have won campus & college awards for outstanding teaching, research and advising and service. Actively conduct research.
Recent UMD Graduates Job Placement Data & Employers
Here's a sampling of positions Integrated Elementary and Special Education grads have attained six months to one year after graduation.
- 1st Grade Teacher - Austin Public Schools, Austin, MN
- Center Based Special Education Teacher - District 196, Apple Valley, MN
- 3rd Grade Teacher - Prior Lake-Savage Area Schools, Prior Lake, MN
- Special Education Teacher - Duluth Public Schools ISD 709, Duluth, MN
- Elementary Special Education Teacher - Lake of the Woods School, Baudette, MN
- Kindergarten Teacher - Eden Prairie Schools, Eden Prairie, MN
- Elementary School Readiness Teacher - Cromwell-Wright Public School, Cromwell, MN
- Special Education Teacher - Chippewa Falls Area Unified School District, Chippewa Falls, WI
For more data see the Integrated Elementary and Special Education Graduate Follow-up Report.
For ideas about Integrated Elementary and Special Education and other majors visit Career & Internship Services.