You are here
At a very fundamental level, the study of finance revolves around the management of money. A major in finance helps students understand the theoretical financial principles that guide the management of risks, returns, and cash flow. The quantitatively oriented field of finance helps students develop strong analytical skills and problem-solving abilities.
UMD offers three different options in the field of finance: a traditional major in finance, and two specialized majors: financial markets and financial planning.
Depending on their interest, students can pick a major that best suits their skills, interests, and career aspirations.
Students have access to industry-standard datasets such as FactSet, MorningStar, and Compustat.
Understand the time value of money, valuation of financial assets and the relationship between risk and expected return.
Learn about how the three capital markets (equity, bond, and derivatives) operate and the financial assets traded in each of these markets.
Analyze financial statements to evaluate the financial health of a firm and the strategies it employs to create value for its shareholders.
The finance major is designed for students pursuing careers in corporate financial management. Graduates of the program have found positions in diverse areas such as Internal Auditing, Commercial Lending, Financial/Corporate Analysis, and Planning & Budget Analysis. Students also go into positions
Admissions and Scholarships
Students with a major in LSBE are eligible to apply for more than 120 scholarships, with the total scholarship amount in excess of $200,000 annually.
The Investment Club is committed to furthering students with their interest in investments and finance. The club brings to campus professional and academic speakers, takes part in a virtual stock exchange contest, and works towards making professional connections in the business world.
Freshmen and transfer students are typically admitted as pre-business students for all BBA majors. Admission to candidacy status, which allows access to upper division LSBE classes, typically occurs at the junior level when students have successfully completed all pre-major (pre-candidacy) course requirements and met all of the GPA standards. Students with 2.60 UM and overall, and 2.00 internal and pre-major GPAs, are admitted into the major upon completion of pre-major courses.
Recent UMD Graduates Job Placement Data & Employers
Here's a sampling of positions Finance B.B.A. grads have attained six months to one year after graduation.
- Accounting Associate - Allina Health, Minneapolis, MN
- Corporate Tax Technician - Ascena Retail Group, Duluth, MN
- Underwriter - Auto-Owners Insurance, White Bear Lake, MN
- Sales Marketing Consultant - C.H. Robinson, Edina, MN
- Associate Wealth Advisor - CliftonLarsonAllen, Minneapolis, MN
- Financial Advisor - Edward Jones, Hutchinson, MN
- Financial Analyst - Honeywell, Minneapolis, MN
- Financial Analyst - IBM, Rochester, MN
- Credit Analyst - Security State Bank, Hibbing, MN
- Associate Financial Planner - TruNorth Wealth Partners, St. Paul, MN
- Financial Analyst - UnitedHealth Group, Minneapolis, MN
- Accounts Receivable Specialist - YMCA, Duluth Area Family, Duluth, MN