You are here
Environmental and Outdoor Education B.A.Sc.
The Bachelor of Applied Science (B.A.Sc.) in Environmental and Outdoor Education (EOE) prepares students for professional careers in the broad field of outdoor education, including adventure education, environmental interpretation, sustainability education, and environmental education. Students become familiar with formal and non-formal outdoor education settings and receive extensive training in outdoor education methodology and program delivery. Core degree components include outdoor education methods, physical skills development, program planning and delivery, management, evaluation, and principles of outdoor education and recreation.
- UMD is home to Bagley Nature Center, a 55-acre, on-campus nature center and outdoor classroom
- UMD is a partner in the Boulder Lake Environmental Learning Center an 18,000 acre nature classroom 18 miles north of Duluth
- Job placement is 90% throughout the United States
- Students intern all over the U.S. and at many international sites (Australia, England, Finland, New Zealand)
- Know how to teach about and in the outdoors
- Learn about the management of grounds and facilities
- Acquire skills in Natural Resource Management for sustainability
- Camp Director
- Environmental Researcher
- Park Ranger
- Nature Center Director
- Park Development/Management
- Recreation Leader
- Recreation Retailing
- Park Interpreter (Naturalist)
Graduate School Options
- Environmental Education
- Outdoor Education
- Sustainability Education
- Recreation Management
Admissions and Scholarships
Students in CEHSP are eligible to apply for more than 100 scholarships each academic year typically totaling $120,000 annually. For more information on scholarship opportunities, visit our scholarship webpage (https://z.umn.edu/scholarshipcehsp).
Many of our students are very involved in UMD's Recreation Sports & Outdoor Program (RSOP) department. RSOP facilities outdoor adventures, skill building, and practical application of many of the concepts in EOE.
- Internationally and Nationally recognized industry leaders
- Experts in Outdoor & Environmental Education teaching methods, outdoor skills, teaching audiences from early childhood to senior citizens.
Recent UMD Graduates Job Placement Data & Employers
Here's a sampling of positions Environmental & Outdoor Education B.A.Sc. grads have attained six months to one year after graduation.
- Mountain Guide - Alpine Ascents International, Seattle, WA
- Raft Guide - Liquid Lifestyles Whitewater Rafting & Kayaking, Clearwater, BC, Canada
- Recreation Director - Madden's on Gull Lake, Brainerd, MN
- Yoga Instructor - Yoga Studio of Austin, Austin, MN
For more data see the Environmental & Outdoor Education B.A.Sc. Graduate Follow-Up Report.
For ideas about Environmental & Outdoor Education B.A.Sc. and other majors visit Career & Internship Services.