You are here
Chinese Area Studies B.A.
The Chinese Area Studies major prepares students to thrive as globally aware and cross-culturally competent citizens through a critical understanding of Chinese cultures.
The Chinese Area Studies major is an interdisciplinary program that allows students to complete much of their upper division coursework in fields of history, art history, communication, linguistics, philosophy and anthropology and Cultural Entrepreneurship.
Chinese Area Studies majors develop:
- Mandarin language communication skills
- Intercultural competence and a global perspective
- Analytical and critical thinking skills
Career possibilities include government, international relations, foreign service, immigration services, tourism, and entrepreneurship.
What you can do with this degree?
After this degree, students can apply for postgraduate programs in Chinese universities with Chinese Government Scholarship, which covers everything for the master's program.
Admissions and Scholarships
- Study Abroad Scholarships, $750
- WLC Scholarship to support study abroad in China: $1500
- CLA Scholarships to support tuition and expenses: $1500--$5000
- China Center Scholarships to support study abroad: $1000
- Chinese Government Scholarships for single semester or academic year of study in China: all expense except airfare.
Chinese Language Learner's Club (CLLC) aims at increasing the Chinese language proficiency, cultural awareness and communications with the native speakers. Activities are organized every week each semester.
Students with zero Chinese background are welcome as long as they are curious and tenacious.