You are here
Are you the kind of person who pays attention to details? Do you thrive working with numbers and spreadsheets or aspire to help a company organize its finances to make sound business decisions? Would you like to learn how to construct, decode, and analyze financial data? If so, the Accounting major may be a great fit for you.
Accounting as the language of business. Students develop a strong foundational knowledge of accounting principles and tax law and learn to keep track of the money trail.
- The program boasts a 97% placement rate.
- Learn to apply current accounting principles and practices to make sense of an organization’s financial data.
- Use accounting information to diagnose the financial health of a business and offer solutions with ethical and sound reasoning.
- Completion of the program serves as basic preparation for the CPA examination and the Certified Management Accountant and Certified Internal Auditor certificates.
The employment opportunities for an accountant are varied. An accountant may find employment in the public accounting, private industry, governmental, or not-for-profit sectors.
The expanding use of big data in business allows accountants to use computer-based accounting and management information to design and implement new systems and to provide expertise in internal control and auditing.
They work in positions such as Certified Public Accountants, Managerial Accountants, Internal Auditors, Tax Accountants, Fraud Analysts, Bank Examiners, and Budget Analysts.
Admissions and Scholarships
Students with a major in LSBE are eligible to apply for more than 120 scholarships, with the total scholarship amount in excess of $200,000 annually. Many of these scholarships are reserved exclusively for accounting students.
The Accounting Club helps students build their professional network and connect with firms for potential career opportunities. The club brings accounting professionals to UMD for networking and learning about the accounting profession. A representative from Becker CPA review visits campus at least once a year.
Freshmen and transfer students are typically admitted as pre-accounting students. Admission to candidacy status, which allows access to upper division LSBE classes, typically occurs at the junior level when students have successfully completed all pre-major (pre-candidacy) course requirements and met all of the GPA standards. Students with 2.60 UM and overall, and 2.00 internal and pre-major GPAs, are admitted into the major upon completion of pre-major courses.
Recent UMD Graduates Job Placement Data & Employers
Here's a sampling of positions Accounting grads have attained six months to one year after graduation.
- Energy Pricing Analyst - ALLETE Minnesota Power, Duluth, MN
- Accounting Analyst - AMSOIL, Superior, WI
- Associate Real Estate Accountant - CBRE, Bloomington, MN
- Tax Associate - CliftonLarsonAllen, Minneapolis, MN
- Accounting Analyst 1 - Essentia Health, Duluth, MN
- Assurance Associate (3) - PricewaterhouseCoopers, Minneapolis, MN
- Professional Staff Accountant - Redpath & Company, St. Paul, MN
- Healthcare Assurance Associate - RSM US, Duluth, MN
- Revenue Tax Specialist - State of Minnesota, Department of Revenue, St. Paul, MN
- Portfolio Manager Associate - U.S. Trust Bank of America, Minneapolis, MN
- Staff Accountant - Wipfli, Duluth, MN