How do I... Transfer Courses to UMD?
Transferring from one university to another can be complicated, but the following resources are designed to streamline the process and help you navigate the steps to assure that your previous courses have been evaluated for credit at UMD.
- Go online to access TES
- Choose the institution where your credits are transferring from by clicking on the >.
- Click the View All link in the top right hand corner
- Choose the most recent catalog year by clicking on the >.
Note: If your course is not listed, go to an older catalog year. If a course is not listed at all, it may be that it has never been evaluated.
- A table will come up indicating the UMD equivalent course in the right column and the course from the other
college in the left column.
Note: course evaluations are subject to change as courses and curriculum may change with new catalog information.
- Courses that have been accepted for transfer credit
- Transfer allowed only upon approval of appropriate department “In Limbo” (see below to read "What to do if your coursework isn't transferring correctly")
- Course does not transfer to the University of Minnesota Duluth
- Go online to www.d.umn.edu
- Click on Current Students
- Click on APAS Report
- Login with your UMD username and password
- Choose the option "Generate a “What-If” APAS Report (major shopping for this student)"
- Step 1: Institution, Choose: University of Minnesota, Duluth, click Go to next Step
- Step 2: College, Choose: the college your current declared major is in, click Go to next Step
- Step 3: Degree Program, Choose: A Transfer Course Evaluation, click Go to next Step
- Step 4: click Generate report
- The report will generate and you will see how your transfer work has been evaluated to-date
- Gather the syllabus from your previous college for any coursework you wish to have evaluated for transfer. This would include courses in the “In Limbo” field & coursework that may have transferred as an elective and for which you wish to get major or liberal education credit.
- Schedule an appointment with your assigned academic advisor and review your syllabus to brainstorm how the course might transfer to UMD (i.e. direct equivalent course, liberal education area elective, major elective, etc.)
- Complete the Transfer Course Evaluation form, attach the course syllabus, and submit them both to your Collegiate Advising Office:
- College of Education & Human Service Professions: 120 Bohannon Hall
- College of Liberal Arts: 310 Kirby Plaza
- Labovitz School of Business & Economics: 111A LSBE
- School of Fine Arts: 107 Montague Hall
- Swenson College of Science & Engineering: 140 Engineering Building
- The Collegiate Advising Office will then disperse the form and syllabus to the appropriate department for review, and a final decision will be sent to you via email. NOTE: Since this process does have multiple channels to go through, it is important to plan ahead and provide plenty of time for review.
Admissions information for potential transfer students: apply for transfer admission and understand how transfer credit works via this Admissions page
How might your coursework transfer to UMD?
UMD has a Transfer Course Evaluation system called TES (Transfer Evaluation System). This system is a database of universities' and colleges' coursework, which includes transfer course equivalencies.
How did your previous coursework transfer to UMD?
As a transfer student coming to UMD you might have found that not all of your coursework from your previous college transferred correctly to UMD within your major or liberal education requirements. Upon admission you received a copy of your EVALUATION OF TRANSFER COURSES which categorized your courses into 1 of 3 categories:
How to access your Evaluation of Transfer Courses if you cannot find the Evaluation received at the time of admission
OR during advisement & registration?
Your EVALUATION OF TRANSFER COURSES document can be found within our APAS System:
What to do if your coursework isn’t transferring correctly?
If you have a course that is currently falling in the category "Transfer allowed only upon approval of appropriate department In Limbo,” you need to complete the Transfer Credit Evaluation process: