You are here
Effective: January 3, 2011
Last Updated: Approved by EPC April 28, 2010; amended and approved by Campus Assembly November 9, 2010, updated & approved by EVCAA April 28, 2017
Policy Owner: Academic Affairs
During the first week of classes each instructor must provide a course syllabus in written or electronic form to every student in each course  that s/he teaches. In order to help students complete the course to the best of their abilities, the syllabus must contain:
- Course designator, number, and title, and the current semester.
- Class meeting times and location(s).
- Instructional staff names and contact information: office hours, office location, phone number, and e-mail address.
- Course pre-requisites, as applicable.
- Required course materials such as text book(s), online readings, software, and computer use.
- If the course is in the Liberal Education Program, a statement of the category (or categories) that the course fulfills.
- Student learning outcomes for the course, which includes Liberal Education Program category student learning outcomes as applicable.
- Type of each graded course component (e.g. exams, quizzes, homework, papers, presentations, participation in discussion, blogs, attendance) with the relative weight and the identification of student learning outcomes measured by each component. Approximate dates should be included.
- Final exam date and time and a link to the final exam policy. If a common final exam is to be given, date, time, and location should be announced as soon as the common exam is officially scheduled.
- Special outside-of-class requirements as applicable (e.g. field trips, performances, service learning, exams outside of regular class time).
- Attendance requirements and penalties for non-attendance, if any. 
- Policy on late and make-up work.
- Statement on participation by students with disabilities.
- Supplemental course materials as applicable.
- Policies related to teaching and learning
(Includes Student Conduct Code, Teaching and Learning, Academic Integrity, Final Exams, Excused Absence, Appropriate Use of Class Notes).
 A university course that is offered to an individual student is designated by one of the following course numbers: xx91 (Independent Study), xx92 (Directed Readings), xx93 (Directed Study), xx94 (Research) and xx97 (Internship). The instructor of any of these courses must provide in writing the number of credits, nature of the work to be accomplished, time expectations, the number of periodic meetings between the student and faculty member and Item 15 above. In addition, appropriate information from the list above should be included in the written agreement.
 See also the Excused Absence Policy listed in Item 15.