Mission and Values
You are here
Mission and Values
The University of Minnesota Duluth integrates liberal education, research, creative activity, and public engagement and prepares students to thrive as lifelong learners and globally engaged citizens.
By 2022, UMD will have a focused identity that appropriately demonstrates the university’s distinctive strengths and makes clear the university’s high research achievements not common among our peers. UMD will tell our story which will evolve beyond being a “regional comprehensive university” to establishing a purpose and framework for propelling the institution forward and enhancing its regional and even international reputation and presence.
UMD will be innovative in pursuing a dynamic future that allows the university to successfully confront evolving challenges and opportunities. UMD will develop an array of undergraduate and graduate academic programs that capitalize on our excellence and impact, as well as our scholarly strengths and external partnerships.
UMD will balance its investment in facilities, programs, and people with a need to keep higher education accessible and affordable. In this way UMD will serve as a platform for success and achievement beyond graduation for students from all walks of life. By accomplishing this vision UMD assures that Minnesota has the best talent to meet our future economic, environmental, and social challenges.
Our Core Values
Preface: UMD is a community of learners and scholars that promotes student success, provides an enriching experience, and is committed to core values that shape the university and its purpose.
- Learning. We analyze, solve problems, improve processes, and develop new ways of creating, working, and being.
- Discovery. We discover, create, and share knowledge.
- Engagement. We actively collaborate with each other and the larger community to identify and achieve common goals.
- Inclusiveness. We respect and embrace the diversity of individuals, perspectives, and ideas and promote social justice.
- Sustainability. We balance current environmental, economic, and social needs with those of future generations.
- Innovation. We are an evidence-based and forward-thinking institution that is capable of adjusting to changing demands on the university.
- Integrity. We adhere to the highest ethical standards and take responsibility for our ideas and actions.
- Excellence. We achieve excellence through creativity, continuous improvement, and innovation.